Bellevue falls at William Woods

Bellevue falls at William Woods

FULTON, Mo. -- A quick second half goal restored a William Woods lead after the Bruins scored just before halftime and the Owls hung on to defeat the No. 14 Bellevue University men's soccer team 3-2 on Thursday evening at Firley Field.


#14 Bellevue: 1-5-0
William Woods: 2-3-0

Recap: William Woods 3, #14 Bellevue 2

Jagan Crane put William Woods on the board first with his 25th minute strike. With Bruin keeper AJ Jarvis off his line, Billy Nzojyibwami played Crane in behind the defense and Crane slotted home the ice-breaker into an empty goal.

The Bruins had a chance to equal just a short time later after an Owls handball gave BU a free kick from 20 yards but the delivery was turned away by the wall.

Bellevue got a goal back just seconds before the horn sounded for the end of the first half when Inaki Aldao scored his second goal of the season. The Bruins won a free kick just past midfield that Andy Wilkinson played into the box. Morgan Penn got his head to the ball and redirected it to the feet of Aldao who slipped a shot into the vacated net after Owl keeper Iker Gonzalez went to challenge for the first ball.

The first half featured just six shots, and just three on target, but both teams made the chances count and proceeded to halftime tied at a goal apiece.

William Woods regained the lead in the 48th minute on when Darren Wilson converted from the penalty spot. Bellevue was whistled for a handball in the area which drew a prolonged protest from the Bruins on the field.

Bellevue had a couple quality chances in the following minutes. In the 55th minute, Ricky Reyes was brought down outside box for a BU free kick but Federico Umani Ronchi's effort sailed high of goal.

The 59th minute saw a cross played into the box the Andy Janssen played over to Aldao but his bicycle kick attempt missed high as well.

William Woods and Bellevue traded goals just 73 seconds apart. Luca Crivellari played a ball to Nzojyibwami in behind the defense in the 77th minute and he beat Jarvis to the corner for a momentary 3-1 Owls lead.

Then, in the 78th minute, Alex Cuenca pulled the Bruins back within a goal to set up the stretch run.

With one last gasp effort with 30 seconds to go, Bellevue won a free kick but Janssen's attempt into the box was scooped up by Gonzalez who effectively ran out the clock to give the win to William Woods.

Up Next:

The Bruins wrap up their three-game road swing on Saturday, Sept. 7 against defending National Champion and No. 1-ranked Central Methodist at 2 p.m. from Davis Field in Fayette, Mo.