The National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics’ (NAIA) Champions of Character program provides training to ensure student-athletes know, do and value the right things in all areas of life. The five core values: integrity, respect, responsibility, sportsmanship and servant leadership are put into play, accounted for and tracked at all NAIA schools.
As an NAIA institution, Bellevue University has developed a Champions of Character program that includes:
- Ongoing character education for all student-athletes using the Champions of Character Live 5 orientation program.
- Professional development for coaches and athletics administrative staff including completion of the Character-Driven Coaching course.
- An emphasis on hospitality, proper game management and exemplary conduct in competition.
- Ongoing assessment of progress in the program’s implementation.
About Champions of Character
The vision of National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) Champions of Character program is to change the culture of sport. Its mission is to provide training to instill the values that build character so students, coaches and parents know, do and value the right thing on and off the field.
Research shows that the longer a student spends in sports, their social reasoning - sacrificing for the good of the team - rises, while their moral reasoning skills - doing what is fair, just, honest, and noble - decline.
The Champions of Character program helps participants find the balance by keeping five core values - integrity, respect, responsibility, sportsmanship, and servant leadership - at the heart of the athletics experience.
Students learn to understand how the values play out in both practice and competition. Coaches are taught how to intentionally define, model, shape and reinforce the values through their coaching and mentoring. Parents learn how their behavior is key to supporting their athletes.
For more than a decade, Champions of Character has been making a difference in developing athletes, coaches and parents of character.
The NAIA is committed to advancing character-driven athletics. Are you?
Bellevue University - Champions of Character News:
- Bruin eSports raise $1,000 for charity, Nov. 6, 2017
- BU Men's Soccer leading Champions of Character Charge in 2015, Sept. 14, 2015
- Bruins set to host Grand View in Red Card Cancer Game, July 30, 2015
- Tanner's Day set for April 26 at Werner Park, Apr. 25, 2015
- Bruins to host Concordia University in "Dig Pink" match, Oct. 28, 2014
- Bruins softball continues partnership with Young Life, Sept. 29, 2014
- Eighth annual "Tanner's Day" set for Sunday at Werner Park, Apr. 25, 2014
- Bellevue University named Champions of Character Institution, Oct. 3, 2013
- Bruins host Bethany in support of cancer awareness, Sept. 25, 2013
- Bruins host College of St. Mary in "Dig Pink" match, Sept. 15, 2013
- Bruins raise money for Wounded Warriors Family Support, May 20, 2013
- Baseball raises more than $1,000 for cancer research, May 14, 2013
- Striking out cancer on Tanner's Day at Werner Park, Apr. 24, 2013
- Bruins named Champions of Character Institution, Dec. 14, 2012
- Bruins host Ozarks in "Dig Pink" match, Oct. 15, 2012
- Men's soccer raises $3,000 for Wounded Warriors Family Support, Oct. 4, 2012
- Bruin softball partners with Young Life, Oct. 2, 2012
- Bruins raise money to fight cancer, Jan. 23, 2012
- Bellevue University named Champions of Character Institution, Nov. 7, 2011
- BU hosts Evangel for "Dig Pink" match, Oct. 14, 2011
- BU volleyball visits local Elementary School, May 25, 2011
- Bruins read to local elementary school students, Mar. 24, 2011
- Bruins help raise awareness for cancer, Jan. 27, 2011
- Bellevue named Champions of Character Institution, Jan. 26, 2011
- Bruins participate in Toys for Tots program, Dec. 21, 2010
- Bruins, MCAC participate in Canned Food Drive, Nov. 9, 2010
- Paben and staff help raise awareness for cancer, Jan. 26, 2010
- Men's basketball holds "Hope for the Hungry" food drive, Oct. 30, 2009
- Bellevue named Champions of Character Institution, Oct. 23, 2009
- Bellevue athletes, staff volunteer at Open Door Mission, Oct. 20, 2009