BELLEVUE, Neb. -- Five different Bruins found the back of the net to lead the No. 6-ranked Bellevue University men's soccer team made history – becoming the first program in school history, in any sport, to go unbeaten through an entire regular season – with a 5-0 win over Viterbo University on Saturday afternoon at Faiman Field on the campus of Bellevue West High School.
Prior to the match, Bellevue's seven seniors – Amador Rangel, Renato Silva, Jonas Starkus, Travis Hurd, Aboubakar Tchalombo, Jacob Pease, Yago Ramos – were recognized for their contributions to the program as part of the Senior Day festivities.
#6 Bellevue: 16-0-2
Recap: #6 Bellevue 5, Viterbo 0
Bellevue piled up 17 shots in the opening half but they were unable to solve Viterbo keeper Nate Regas who made 12 saves on the day.
Jonas Starkus put the Bruins on the board with his first goal of the season in the 58th minute.
Toby Millward converted a penalty in the 76th minute to make it 4-0, his ninth goal of the year.
Andy Wilkinson put the exclamation point on the regular-season finale with his second goal in the 82nd minute.
Bruin keeper AJ Jarvis stopped both shots that Viterbo put on frame to earn his ninth clean sheet of the season.
BU out-shot the V-Hawks 33-2 in the match and blanked their guests in corner kicks, 8-0.
Coach Mark Heath-Preston:
"We are delighted with all the players on their efforts so far this season. We are very proud of the work they have put in to achieve what we have to this point. Also, a big thank you to the seniors on their day."
"We will enjoy tonight and wake up tomorrow ready to go at it again."
Bellevue will be the number one seed when they compete in the A.I.I. Tournament in Lawrenceville, Ga., hosted by Georgia Gwinnett College, beginning on Friday, Nov. 9. The Bruins will meet fourth-seeded Talladega College at 4 p.m.
|A.I.I. Men's Soccer Tournament Schedule | All Times Central|
|Friday, Nov. 9 (Semifinals)|
|#1 Bellevue||vs.||#4 Talladega||4 p.m.|
|#2 Georgia Gwinnett||vs.||#3 Waldorf||7 p.m.|
|Saturday, Nov. 10 (Championship)|
|Bellevue/Talladega||vs.||Ga. Gwinnett/Waldorf||6 p.m.|
- During their current 10-game win streak, Bellevue has out-scored their opposition 42-5.
- The unbeaten regular-season is the first in BU history in any sport.
- Bellevue is unbeaten in their last 23 matches, (20-0-3), a streak which began on Oct. 7, 2017.
- For the third-straight week the Bruins are ranked No. 6 in the latest NAIA Coaches' Poll, which was released on Tuesday afternoon.
- 16 different goal-scorers are the most in a single-season in program history.
- The 61 goals scored this season by Bellevue are the third-most in club history. (2006-66; 2016-62).