BU knocks off Mayville State in OT

BU knocks off Mayville State in OT

Box Score
NSAA Standings

MAYVILLE, N.D. -- Richard Reed led five Bruins in double-figures as the Bellevue University men's basketball team, who had trailed for nearly the entirety of regulation, downed (RV) Mayville State University 86-81 in an overtime thriller in North Star Athletic Association action on Friday evening at the Lewy Lee Fieldhouse.


Bellevue: 9-11 (3-1 NSAA)
(RV) Mayville State: 10-5 (2-2 NSAA)

Recap: Bellevue 86, (RV) Mayville State 81 -- OT

In a game between last season's NSAA regular-season champion (Bellevue) and NSAA Tournament title-winner (Mayville State) it was the Bruins that emerged victorious in overtime.

The Comets started strong, getting off to an 11-5 lead by the 14:47 mark. After BU cut the lead to one, Kobe Critchley knocked down a three to restore the home side's two-possession lead.

Bellevue took their first lead of the game, 24-22, when Brian Stokes drained a triple at the 7:45 mark of the first half. BU led again at 26-24 on a bucket from Richard Reed with 7:24 to go.

With the Comets leading 34-33 Jack Turnbull sparked a run of seven-straight MSU points with a four-point play. He was fouled while sinking a trey before going on to knock down the free throw. After a defensive stop, Gorg Alhag knocked down a triple of his own to put Mayville up 41-33 with 1:11 to go.

Bellevue had a chance to cut the deficit to a single possession at the half but Sequan Walker's runner would not fall and the Comets carried a 41-36 edge into the locker room.

Reed and Walker carried the Bruins offensively in the first stanza, combining for 21 points with Reed accounting for 12.

Both teams shot the ball well in the opening period with Mayville hitting at a 60.9 percent clip (55.6 from three) and BU sinking 50 percent of their attempts (41.7 from three).

The trio of Turnbull, Alhag, and Critchley combined for 24 points in the first half for the Comets led by Turnbull's nine.

Mayville led for the first 13:52 of the second half until Jaron Dickson hit a jumper in the paint to give the Bruins a 64-63 advantage with 6:08 showing in regulation.

The Comets answered with an old-fashioned three-point play at the other end to retake the lead, 66-64.

A bucket from Walker and a three from Dickson gave BU the lead back, 69-68, with 3:49 to play to set up the exciting stretch run.

Justin Bessard got an open look from the top of the key but three-point shot missed and Dickson collected the offensive rebound. The Bruins called timeout with 9.8 seconds to play to set up a final play.

After a Creighton Pfau foul – Mayville's final before the bonus – with 6.6 Bellevue had to inbound the ball again. Reed got off a contested three-pointer but his attempt fell short off the front of the iron and the game proceeded to overtime.

With 1:27 to go in overtime, Reed broke a 79-all tie by draining a trifecta, giving the Bruins the lead.

Reed knocked down both ends of a one-and-one with 8.7 seconds to go in the extra period to effectively seal the victory.

Daymarcco Green went coast-to-coast to score a layup with 3.2 seconds remaining to keep Mayville's slim hopes alive. Dickson ended those hopes by knocking down both ends of a one-and-one of his own with 2.4 seconds showing on the clock.

Reed led all scorers with 21 points and was joined in double figures by Bessard (15), Walker (15), Dickson (14), and Connor Dukes (10). Dickson led the BU rebounding efforts by collecting seven boards and Walker added five.

Alhag led Mayville State with 16 points while Turnbull added 13 to the Comets' cause. Critchley and Eric Staebler each scored 11 for the hosts. Staebler led all players with eight rebounds and Alhag added seven.

Up Next:

Bellevue is off Saturday before continuing their quick, two-game road swing against Valley City State on Sunday, Jan. 13. Tip-off is set for 3 p.m. from the W.E. Osmon Fieldhouse.